THE DUALITY OF LIFE: YIN YANG EXPLAINED
In Chinese philosophy, yin and yang (also, yin-yang or yin yang) represents or describes the duality of life. It describes how apparently opposite or contrary forces are actually complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another.
Yin Yang teaches us that every aspect of life is created from a balanced interaction of opposite and competing forces. Yet these forces are not just opposites; they are complementary. They do not cancel out each other, they merely balance each other like the dual wings of a bird.
Life is too ironic to understand by looking at one side of the coin. For example, you couldn’t understand what the concept of ‘up’ is without having a ‘down’ to compare and contrast to. Same applies for in-out, hot-cold, sweet-sour, young-old, male-female, liberal-conservative, and on and on, the list goes. If we don’t have an opposing counterpart, then it can’t have any value to us.
Yin represents earth, passive, negative, female, yielding, weak, or dark while yang represents heaven, active, positive, male, strong, or light. The concept of yin and yang lies at the basis of Taoist philosophy.
The Interdependence of All Things
Early Taoist philosophy was influenced by observations of nature. Taoist philosophers explains that everything has its complementary opposite and everything can only be understood by comparing it to its opposite.
We wouldn’t know the beauty of light without experiencing darkness and we would’t appreciate the usefulness of heat without experiencing coldness. Looking deeper into life, you will discover that everything is in constant duality.
All things are complementary and interdependent. By carefully observing the processes of nature, the Taoists say, we can come to some understanding about the meaning of our lives and about our place in the world. These concepts are the cornerstone of Taoist philosophy.
FURTHER EXPLANATION: WHAT IS YIN AND WHAT IS YANG
Watch this video for further explanation
LIFE LESSON OF YIN YANG
- Yin Yang is about creating harmony in your world – your home, your work, your relationships. Not going overboard with anything – work, emotions, pleasure. Bringing harmony to your life starts by understanding the true concept of Yin Yang.
- There will be people whom you can never agree with. That does not mean, however, that you cannot accept them for who they are, cannot live side by side with them, share their pain and joy, earn their trust and benevolence, and ultimately, lean on their shoulders for support and believe they shall be there whenever you are in need.
- Your bad might be another person’s good. They are never absolute, so what you think is immoral, might not look so in another person’s eyes.
- One of the keys to a happy sex life is the ability to balance and connect. The ancient Taoists believed that every relationship is a complex balancing act, namely balancing yin and yang.
- There is always two sides of every story. Beware of half story because you may have gotten hold of the wrong one.
- Yin and Yang is not about one thing being good or the other being bad. It is all about balance. When two opposites exist together the world can be balanced.
- Embrace your imperfections. Nobody is perfect: Nobody’s perfect. We make mistakes. We say wrong things. We do wrong things. We fall. We get up. We learn. We grow. Everybody has dark side, it’s part of your personality.
- Yin and Yang is about not pushing back but accepting life’s contrasts and learning to see the good, and the bad, in everything.
JOIN OUR BESTSELLING COURSE
If you like these prompts, get our self-love painting course. This painting course is designed to help you discover your inner beauty.
The good news is that over 5,000 women like you have benefited immensely from this painting course. This course is the first step to self – discovering; it uncovers many secrets about self love. During this course, you will find answer to the following questions:
During this course you will not only create a beautiful piece of art through the guided instruction of Tara Trimble Nash, but also receive knowledge on how to really empower and love yourself. Click on the banner below or click here to join.